Just Gene

Discussion in 'Complaints & Appeals' started by Maeve Keeva, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maeve Keeva

Maeve Keeva Ban'd

It's story time, let's all gather around as aunt Evander is driving the noob buss into town to pick up the new student.

So about 30 bans and 500 kicks ago I was heavily invested as lead developer on TnB right after Teddi and I went Bonnie and Clyde and said bye bye to Texas. During this time some of our fans also tried the life on the other side of the fence, one of which were Gene.

He started out where everyone does, doing a little bit of this a little bit of that, eventually he applied for the CCA in TnB. However the leaders of the CCA obviously didn't like him for some reason as he was denied and it was right around that time following that he created the OverWatch on this server, OverWatch who are a high ranking division in the TnB CCA as well. He quickly rose to some kind of 'power', not unlike the prehensile penis of a boy starting puberty. I remember Teddi and me giggling about this as we discussed how awesome we are. Gene helmed the OW slot for some time and there were some pretty obvious cut and paste jobs from TnB's CCA forum when compared side to side to his OW forum.

Some might say this is a coincidence that he just happened to not get accepted by the CCA in TnB and therefor decided to start forging his own little CCA here in BB by being the leader of one of the core counterparts of it. Some might say this is a rather obvious way to gain more power and if this dosn't sound like Gene then let me bring some of the highlights of his achievements to light.

It was pretty obvious to everyone that when Teddi left there was a big void, where some saw a great loss some saw great opportunity and it is firmly my opinion that Gene saw it in the latter perspective because it didn't take long until he acted like Teddi as if he had replaced him by reputation other then the obvious fact that Teddi left. Gene got moderator after Teddi left, and let me remind you people that none before Teddi had mod besides Ben, of course the nature of BB is that everyone bitches and squabbles to Ben the minute someone gets something the other person dosn't have and suddenly a few others got moderator as well. However this only brings me to this point:

Recently this thread was made :::Important::: made by some random cockdrop which was nothing apparently important to it what so ever, eventually since it wasn't important it went off-topic. However Gene decided in all of his clever, past experiences of moderating a community like BB to split it, which then took the entire topic out of context and looked completely ridiculous. When I firmly said he should have deleted it instead, he edited my post to say "Thanks Gene! I like splits!", to which I then replied was pathetic and offered the proof from the forum logs that he edited my post. When I informed Teddi about this he said he would tell Gene to lock or delete it. He then commented it was a "joke" to which this was print screened in case he would do it again. Now while writing this I noticed the topic was finally deleted and gave birth to the question if he deleted it due to Teddi saying so or because he did not want such discredit against him to be seen, after all he edited my previous post into something he liked better.

Now onto the subject of his new group "The Keepers".
    I could barely hold myself to laughter as the word experiments popped up and nearly pissed myself laughing as I read this "The first successful subjects were sentient, telepathic." and thought someone better call George Lucas because this is some Jedi bullshit. After that it was a case of tl;dr of this ridiculous piece of writing, not to mention the idea for a group on a Half-Life² based roleplay server, key word is Half-Life² based. I don't recall ever reading or hearing about anything similar to "The Keepers" while playing and reading up about Half-Life² nor can I after reading the group suggestion ever claim that Marc Laidlaw the writer of Half-Life² would have been victim in a car crash so severe they had to perform a brain transplant, the brain which they got from a 6 year old kid with downs syndrome, in order to come up with it for Episode 3.

This seems to be more about Gene trying to get his way, getting more power and not to mention power-game. This group is pimped out with more stupid imbalanced features then all cars invented after the 80's not to mention its complete and utter disregard for the brilliant canon of Half-Life², in fact this is some kid not only taking a piss at a great legacy, but also on an already working theme, a good script not to mention all the players of this entire fucking server. With a superhuman sci-fi group with its own story and background cluttered with more shit then the last oh-i-don't-know then the 1665 something pages of the bible, the only good that is going to come out of it will not be felt by anyone not in the group. It will create constant confusion not to mention the promoted "progressing storyline" can have all kind of stupid shit thought up by one power greedy twat that by the time it's considered finished for all we know there will be UFO's and alien planets on request to be made a custom map.

This is if nothing more then just another way for Gene to get more power and more say on things going on in the game and on the server. A group like this, with features that not only overpower all the other groups, but is designed specifically to be held in the hands of its creator and not showing any kind of actual systematic behind it, any kind of organization just shows there isn't in design for any of that. If story is to predominate over function, function over gameplay and over the overall happiness of the rest of the community, then this is the ideal group to ruin the roleplay more with, as it is obviously not ruined enough.

Groups are about to expand roleplay opportunities, the CCA are doing a pretty decent job, with some more effort and enthusiasm, not to mention the tools to carry out proper roleplay like models, maps and code it could become vastly improved. This however is a group that requires to much of everything as if it wants to completely override all other groups and the story behind the game itself, it seems almost as if this group would be bigger then the entire mystery behind the G-Man not to mention larger then the script.

Some of you may not realize this but with the new updates groups are pretty much the big thing and will influence the overall roleplay, not only carried out by the groups but by the entire server, greatly. The servers roleplay is almost entirely in the hands of the groups leaders and depending on their goals and activities the results will be varying.

For a greater part of the recent past this hasn't been a roleplay server, it's been more like a deathmatch edition Counter-Strike in garry's mod, however new times are coming, times of change. Things will come around sooner or later that will shake this server out of apathy and enforce roleplay, reduce deathmatch and make the script as it was intended from the get-go, all past mistakes will be corrected eventually and when it does we need pillars of the community to uphold the vital groups to ensure that we all can enjoy spending our time on the server be it as a member of the groups or citizens. Believe that this group should not be one of them.

The keepers group, while it may have a new and interesting storyline to some is not worth the effort to everyone else and no matter how refined it would be I couldn't turn my back on my beliefs about Gene, he didn't use to be a dick in fact he was bearable way back when but it's obvious power dosn't agree with Gene as much as he agrees with power. So for the love of the server say no to the group and invest time supporting the groups that are already in and encourage them to be better then they are then wasting time on this group.

The good news if this group did get accepted was I could finally get my Transformers group accepted and yes you better fucking believe I have dibs on Optimus Prime.

2. PC Camp

PC Camp New Member

lolwut

[User was warned for this post - Not contributing / Non constructive]

3. Biff Johnston

Biff Johnston <MARQUEE><h1 style="color:Green">[BB] Grand Master

the tl;dr version of this: evander was bored and has to write a big post full of big words to make herself sound smart

:3

4. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

5. ugotpwned

ugotpwned New Member

i don't read text walls.......

6. TheLawGiver

TheLawGiver New Member

From what I've discerned and understood regarding the whole situations stems form Gene's Micromanaging the OW. I've personally heard the rants of his subordinates and even his counterparts on his absence, more interesting is his reluctance to permit other OW division. I've RPed once or twice with Gene in-game, and one thing that I never understood was why he seemed to be so against the CP interacting with the OW (on a tactical level.) Each man has his own skeletons but I just can't dismiss it when it affects the state of an RP Group. Hopefully Welsh can pick up the slack for the OW and get them on the right track for true militarization. One leader for one faction of subordinates always ends in micromanaging, you gotta trust people to do their jobs and for some that comes hard. It a shame to see things in this state tbh.....

7. Cannonball

Cannonball New Member

Personally, I felt he was always a little too one-sided with Lambda/OW RP; what I mean is he would flip out if any of the Lambda were close to infracting a rule, however he would let his own team slide with breaking a few rules. Also, I completely agree with Evander on the Keepers group thing, it makes no sense in the HL2-RP, sounds waaaaaay to overpowered, as well as apparently in-game no one knows they even exist, making it kinda hard to RP with them.

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Got to agree to be honest. It shocked me at first when I read the TnB changes had all been down to Gene. It always confused me personally why no one could RP OW if he wasn't on basically (Or like 1/2 other people at his rank), it's probably just a control thing, I think Welsh will do good with the group.

When Teddi left was quite a bad time, it was obvious that there would be a huge power struggle in his absence and it occurred. When Gene got Global he became extremely..protective perhaps is that word. Myself and Bob were also made Global at the time, although mine only lasted a few hours, I'll let you know why. I locked the flame topics about Katie in General Chat, after this Gene complained to Ben that I was interfering with his moderating or something and it was remove. Gene then banned me from the forums because I pm'ed him about how I felt about him. Yeah, he banned someone because they stood up to him.

Onto The Keeper's - I don't see the relevance to HL2 at all, it just sounds like a Group to expand control - Being the most powerful group ingame undoubtedly. With "Psychic abilities" it sounds like something I'd see on Heroes.

9. Cellular

Cellular New Member

I've never thought of Gene as the power-hungry type. I don't really like the Keepers group, though. If it's not in HL2, it shouldn't be in HL2 roleplay. And yes, SR and the Black Marketeers could plausibly exist in the HL2 universe. But a psychic alien race other than the Combines? I doubt it.

10. Dan Pyre

Dan Pyre Member

But Evander, what are you trying to prove to us by posting this thread? That Gene is power hungry? I read and understand everything that you have written, but its purpose is what I question.

By no means am I trying to demean you- I would just like to know what your ideal end result for this complaint would be.

11. PC Camp

PC Camp New Member

I didn't read it. So that's why I posted 'lolwut'. ;D

12. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

I have to agree with this a bit. Gene does seem to be a bit power hungry. The only reason he really created Overwatch was so he could beat people without a RP reason. I don't agree how Gene can pass judgement on others when he's hardly ever on the server. Plus a certain something happened a while back where Gene had let another admin take the blame for something he commanded another admin to do and got in trouble for. I won't say anymore though.

He was not always like this.

13. Stanley Kowalski

Stanley Kowalski New Member

I don't like saying bad things about people but I feel this needs to be said.

Gene is a bit power-hungry. From making sure nobody in OW can RP unless he's on to getting global mods demoted for standing up to him, there definitely seems to be an "I have to be in charge" type attitude.

Then there's something that happened a few months ago. This was back when I was a sub.
    I was RPing mayor and I said "fuck" in one of my broadcasts. Gene got angry, claiming that I wasn't allowed to curse in the server. When I quoted the rule on how it's okay only if it's in-character and not OOC, he invented some rule about how it's only okay IC if you have an RP reason (???). We argued about this for a while and eventually he muted me for winning the argument. Then he told a sub-admin to teleport to me and kill me. I'm not naming names but if that admin wants to confirm this he can.

Teddi leaving [BB] fucked everything up, and Gene took advantage of this. Within a week of Teddi leaving Gene becomes global mod and he has Ben in his pocket. Now, even though Kaiden was a global mod, apparently he's supposed to stay away from Gene's forums even if Gene isn't doing anything about shitty threads. When Kaiden locked a shitpost that had been sitting there for a while, Gene gave Kaiden a forum warning and complained to Ben. Eventually Kaiden sent Gene a PM saying that Gene was doing a bad job as global mod and bam, Kaiden was demoted. Things got so bad that I was going to quit but thankfully Teddi returned.

The creation of the Overwatch was basically a way for Gene to get more power over the server and to, as Zeke stated above, beat citizens for no reason and get away with it. At one point, Overwatch was even going to get control of who can be a CP which would have been completely fucked up. Why should an RP group say who can and cannot be what is one of the most important parts of Half-Life 2 RP?

When Kaiden and I were making the CP equipment/ranks thread, Gene contacted us several times telling us to change this and change that. A couple of times he did indeed have valid reasons for wanting something changed (such as one of the ranks using the current CP Chief model, which has that big OW logo on the shoulder), but mostly I think it was again an attempt at gaining more power.
    Apparently CPs are supposed to arrest only people who punch other citizens and do drugs but stay away from anti-citizens, which only OW can deal with.

Now we have this "Keepers" group. To be honest it sounds more like something out of a sci-fi fantasy film like Star Wars than Half-Life 2.

Gene's a nice enough guy but sometimes he's just kind of egotistical and power hungry.

14. Boilrig

Boilrig BB Veteran

When Teddi was away, Gene went powerhungry with MOD status on the forums, I see what evander means about the power and the 'Keepers' group, Also with Gene in charge of OW it was not good on the CP, with all the telling us what to do and limit us of what we could do.

15. George

George Active Member

Slurp Slurp. Yeah Evander (Or "Billy" if your name is Waddy, You Vent people will understand) Slurp, Slurp. ** Tongue noises **

The amount of people who were saying in "The Keepers" request thread that the group is cool was incredible.

Why only know that Evander has posted her opinion do you guys start agreeing? If you all dis-liked the idea that Gene had so much, then why did you let it gets this far? Why have YOU made this thread earlier. I can come up with only probable conclusion, You want to suck up to Evander maybe? We all know that Teddi holds her in high esteem. I would too in his position, she holds great and useful knowledge that we need. But on a serious note people, you must answer the question, why did you not stress your dislike for the idea before this thread appeared?

Now, Evander, Although your post is very true in many ways you fail to see some other things that may have influenced Gene to do what he did? I have a theory, (Notice the word theory here) that Gene may have taken the power so someone who would abuse it could not have it. Then the power turned on him and he lost control. It happens to everyone. I admit, Ben should have taken control of it but weren't we the ones who were saying "put the power in the players hands"?

So as someone previously stated higher in this thread, this post of Evander's holds an important view point but what is its purpose? *** George gets out his glowing ball of knowledge and looks into it, cloud fades away and he see's a dead thread lying in the road ***, What was the real purpose to posting Evander? To alert us to Gene's actions? Apparently everyone already knew. failz to everyone who "knew".

In future and for your reply. (Because I sense I will get flamed here and there) instead of telling us what's going on, tell us what we can do. And if there is nothing we are supposed to do, just PM Teddi. I am pretty sure your post could have been just a quick PM to Teddi and he could deny the group. But instead you decided to make a song and dance out of it with humor thrown in.

Currently out of this thread, only one thing may happen, Gene gets hurt. If you have just PM'd Teddi you could have avoided the pussy licker's who just want more power and got what you really wanted, to deny Gene of that power (I assume that was your purpose, I cannot think of anything else). Then Teddi can put a nice little [DENIED] tag at the beginning of "The Keepers" thread.

What do you think? (Flame shield, Activated.)

16. River Rat

River Rat New Member

Could we please not go to that topic?

Noone truly knows what Gman is. For all we know he could be an Alien Phsycic dude himself.

I mean, look what hes done to the world so far, Aside from annhilated it.

He froze gordan in time, He Caused the whole Combine portal incident.

I'm not saying that This is the truth, But, think.

I will not post with/against/about gene here, As I have not known him to be Power hungry or anything except a little cracked out at times. (Remembers vent as gene couldn't stop laughing at wierd stuff..)

17. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Gene is going through some tough times... I don't know if he wants me telling you guys about it...

18. Corran

Corran Active Member

Took the words straight out of my mouth mate. ;)

19. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

A 1,500 word post can hardly be justifiable as a "Quick PM". Also the complaints section was only just made, hence no posts about it earlier.

Also only half of this topic is about "The Keepers".

20. Maeve Keeva

Maeve Keeva Ban'd

There is no point to this thread, those of you that expected it would have are clearly looking for answers to your questions rather then providing them yourself. Most of BB is apathic, you look up towards Teddi, asking him what to do, you're all too lazy to solve the issues you see around you by yourselves.

This isn't me telling anyone what to do or think, it is apparent those that did care have posted their opinions and those that don't care are not worried as long as they have a weapon in their inventory. This is me hoping you guys can come together and wake the fuck up and start responding to shit like this before it gets out of hand. All of you who saw Gene craving power could have put a stop to it yet you sat idly by.

It is not a wall of text about Gene alone, this is a wall of text on all of you people that wiggle your tails waiting for someone to tell you what to do. When someone finally puts their thoughts out the first thing you do is jump the bash wagon, because you assume you're safe in your seats of power and respect, that you're all untouchable. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, those of you that did nothing but watch it unravel, you waited for an outsider to make a move.

To those of you that are wondering where do Teddi stand in all this, stop waiting for him to think for you and act for you. I already told him not to reply in this thread to reduce the amount of sucking up. Sucking up to me will give you nothing in return, I hold no power nor a say in things that go on around here anymore.

Times are changing, we need people that can change with it, those that will represent the new BBRP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.