McDonalds burger buns (pt2)

Discussion in 'Blog Posts' started by Teddi, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Blog Post: http://bbroleplay.co.uk/devblog/?p=346

Please keep all discussion and questions to the blog here.
    I'd appreciate some feedback on the writing of this blog to see what people honestly think of it (negative and positive please).

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

The concept of improving over time as you do something is a good one, even with it being simple.

We've seen a few examples of the food market, or more namely wheat, can you tell us about the different food products/materials, and other crafting possibilities more widespread, i.e. manufacturing - even if not giving too much away.

And can you tell us more about the system in which you actually produce the food i.e. wheat, can you do it anywhere, or restricted to certain areas etc.

While some items will be common place, what would you say will be the most difficult items to make, or which items do you expect to be pretty scarcely seen in the population?

3. Teddi

You can expect to see your general commodities (ores, food ranging from meat to bread as mentioned) and things that can be built up from those items. As for restrictions on where you can grow items, ideally i'd like a system where putting it in the city area will be useless due to minor pollution, lack of sunlight at times and whatsnot. Ideally people will be doing this on other servers that we have set up for them. You won't be restricted from trying but you won't get very far effectively.

4. Kaiden

I think while you'd hope people will use common sense and think "oh probably won't get much result working with these foods in the middle of the road by the factory" it should probably tell them in some way anyway :< At least I wouldn't probably make that assumption that the area mattered!

5. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

My only worry is that at first, or even later on in the server's life span, there won't be enough workers to actually fulfill the need of the market, either due to disinterest or a lack of sufficient amounts of players.

After all, who wants to grow wheat when you could grow weed and pew pew the cops?

6. Teddi

Because getting guns will actually require serious effort, and if you start assaulting the police you're going to get locked up for a fair amount of time. And I'm not talking about 30 minutes here, I'm talking about serious time (hours - days depending on the seriousness).

7. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Perhaps I'm over exaggerating here (I do fully understand that it's going to be much more serious than DarkRP, and that it's not just going to revolve around drugs and cops), but my main point is that I worry that many players will want a more exciting role than farmer, leaving a lack of farmers to supply the market (which could apply to other roles/situations as well).

8. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

I'm pretty sure with the increased efficiency farming of some kind will be the primary source of money for players who wish to play alone. Also as new players that'll be there only choice for a while.

9. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

"buying low, selling high and effectively living the good life with a reasonable amount of work."

Didn't you outlaw this method?

10. Kaiden

No pew pew'ing! Just because you have rights now doesn't mean we won't arrest you still :<

At any rate there'll still be a demand for wheat even if you can make more expensive things. There'll still be money in it so yeah. Although even then you may have moved onto other things but new people starting out will still be producing the more common stuff.

The only part the police might take an interest in is if someone creates a monopoly which doesn't allow for new competition, taking advantage of a good yield and making a profit is perfectly acceptable.

It's more just a failsafe anyway, I doubt we'll have to interfere with the auction house or just regular trading at all really.

Varies, everyone will start out somewhere. People wanting to make corps will notice quickly they're not cheap and will probably use something like farming to gain the money for it for quite a while.

11. Teddi

Considering it'll be the easiest way for a player to get started I doubt there'll be a lack of farmers. Especially due to the fact that you can't just sell your shit to NPCs or get cash out of nowhere.
    Besides, I wouldn't want to have a punch up with an active miner.

12. BlackDog

BlackDog FUMUKU, shall rise again

I dont think we'll see a lack of farmers either, it produces consumable commoditys that everyone requires to live, i can forsee shortages yes, but if such becomes the case no doubt players or corporations will see this as a chance to make a quick buck, invest into agriculture to pick up the slack and reap some short term benifits, maybe selling high until food stocks have normalized and people are no longer starveing

Though, you could also see people targeting said farms to create said shortage to create an enviroment where large profits could be made exploiting the impending hunger crisis they have created

13. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

Can I still buy a burger for 99p though?

14. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

I have not read either blog posts due to slow loading times, but reading this thread fast before I leave wifi again gave me a gist of what this is about, and if you make agriculture anything like stranded's system for food growth I think you'd be able to keep someones attention.