Death

Discussion in 'Blog Posts' started by Teddi, May 17, 2012.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Blog Post: http://bbroleplay.co.uk/devblog/?p=368

Discuss anything related to the blog here.

I apologise for the delay with this blog and that it's a tad short, but there really isn't much to it bar than what I've explained in it.

2. Robert Benson

Robert Benson Ze Captain

Shit's casual.

Anyways, will be interesting to see how this plays out :p I'm sure we'll have some people trying to go back anyways and get revenge, but will be funny to see them try.

3. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Sounds like a great system.

I've seen too many servers where people interpret NLR to be "Wait five minutes, then raid again", and this sounds like it will completely alleviate the problem. Not to mention that it'll add some consequence to death.

Although, I'm hoping that you'll have a system in which admins can unlock characters, considering that there's bound to be some rule-breaking afoot, and I would hate to see people get unfairly killed and then be unable to play with their characters for 20 minutes.

4. Teddi

Can you elaborate on what sort of rulebreaking you're referring to?

5. Sleepydragn1

Prop killing, running around killing people with no RP reason whatsoever (despite however hard it is to obtain a weapon), prop climbing to break into buildings, then killing the occupants of the building, abusing police weaponry/equipment, etc. While I doubt they'll be as big of an issue in this gamemode, I'm running on the assumption that they'll still be against the server's rules upon launch.

In those cases, I don't think it would be fair for a killed player to have to wait it out for 20 minutes.

6. Teddi

Prop climbing won't be possible, at least not to the extent that people think it will. You can only climb to a certain height off the ground before you're ragdolled and you fallover.

If a person manages to infiltrate a building and there's no security and they go on a massmurder, then it's the fault of the persons involved. That killer(s) now also has to peg it seeing as if they get caught they're going to jail for a lengthy time.

7. Sleepydragn1

What about abuse of police power/equipment then, or prop killing?

There have to be some situations where unlocking a character is the appropriate action to take, I would think.

8. Ashman

Ashman Member

abuse of police power will be up to the police management to figure out and sort out, and prop killing wont be possible because as far as i can remember there isnt really any physgun or prop spawning, everything will be rp'd, any and every death will be dealt with by the police, it cant really be rdm because its rp'd, its random murder, and if you manage to get a gun your gunna be careful with it, guns will hard and time consuming to make, be short supply, and very illegal

9. Teddi

Pretty much this.

10. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Mass Vehicle dming?

11. Teddi

Again, Police.

Unless someone is exploiting a method to kill people then odds are it'll be up to the Police to apprehend the killers and to securely lock them away.

12. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

There's gonna be a pretty fine line between what's against the server rules and what's against the law. Aka what the admins deal with or what the police deal with. Mass murderers and the like exist in real life naturally, to completely quash them with admining seems extreme - but obviously if it gets to a point where there is just a lot of mindless RDM occurring then the rules will be looked at. (or the polices' approach)

Admining is going to be attempted to keep to a minimum, especially compared to RP08 where everyone would just be noclipping around and the like. It'll be used to deal with exploiters, those abusing the rules, and for helping players with problems like bugs, problems and issues i.e. stuck.

There'll most likely be a clause where mass murders (aka several killings for no reason, basically RDM) and the like are probably never let out of prison, making that charecter slot unplayable outside of RP'ing in the cells with police (or unless they get broken out!), so the punishment will be pretty extreme.

In addition we'll have it so arrested characters - and even characters who escape and are on the run - can't be deleted. So yeah, when you're caught doing something like that, being kicked/banned would probably be a preferred alternative for the player.

We'll see on police abuse. I'm expecting a certain amount of bribery and even blackmail to happen, "I didn't see anything, if you know what I mean", but I probably shouldn't find out about it, as well any kind of behaviour that results in compromises or actual endorsement of criminal gangs etc then they'll be removed from the force, possibly detained.

The only time I can see unlocking a frozen character happening would be in an event where it's not in the servers interest at that time for someone to be killed - i.e. it'd ruin an RP event - but even then it'd play out as an assassination and go on from there.

13. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

I'm not sure I like the idea of locking characters overall. Confined to hospital maybe.

14. Joey Skylynx

Joey Skylynx Minister of Propaganda

Just think of it as the Golden Muffin came down and bestowed coma upon you.

15. Sleepydragn1

Personally, I have no problem with a well RP'ed mass murderer. As you pointed out, they exist in real life, and it would add some interesting situations to roleplay out for the police, the murderer himself/herself, and any citizens caught in the crossfire. I just worry about those who would obtain weapons and kill others for the sole purpose of trolling around. After all, it doesn't take a good RP'er to obtain a weapon, it just takes sufficient time and effort on the server.

I do like the idea of the police force taking care of most situations without an admin having to step in and break roleplay.

What would stop them from simply creating another character, then? I don't think Teddi has mentioned if there's a hard limit on character slots, but even assuming there is a hard limit, they could simply switch to another character, making any punishment resulting from their character being permanently unable to be removed much more negligible than a ban.

Although, I do like the idea of permanently jailed characters for severe enough crimes. Should add some consequence to breaking the law and create some interesting situations.

I don't mind the idea of corrupt cops assuming that it's RP'ed correctly, however even with standard grade police equipment (assuming that patrol duty cops are armed with lethal weaponry), and even with the application-only police force, a policeman could run around using his equipment to kill civilians at random. By no means will it be even remotely as prevalent as in previous gamemodes, but I still think that it'll appear from time to time.

Playing it out as an assasination seems fair in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  16. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If they take the time and effort to get a gun and become a mass murderer, they've earned it. Won't be more than 3 people they can kill before the police jumps on it anyway.

-

Limit is 3 at the moment, but you lose all the items/stats on your old character and have to start over on a new one. Which means you have to go through the trouble of getting a gun again.

I'm gonna say no. Police wouldn't be available to just anyone, they'll have to show they're proficient in roleplaying and probably will have to have been active on the server for an extended period of time.

17. Kaiden

It's not for a particularly long time, and you have other characters - but there needs to be some delay in respawning, or more, punishment for dying if you did something silly.

Hard to tell how many guns will be in circulation and the like. If someone eventually crafts a gun, gets ammo then just starts shooting whoever they run into, then it won't be long before the police get there. Again if it's a frequent thing we'll probably look at enforcing server rules on RDM, but yeah the odd occasion will be acceptable. Also people won't generally go through the effort of acquiring a weapon just to shoot at a few random people then be killed by the police I doubt, but again will see!

Well for one that character wouldn't have any of that others stuff. If the arrested char has a lot of money, maybe they're running a corp, have items in the bank etc then that all won't be accessible. As well they'd also have no idea who anyone is, meaning they'd have to identify people all over again. There's certainly a punishment for having to drop a character to create a new one, even if only temporary. (And yeah, not even encroaching on the fact they'd lose their stat-enhanced character they've been working on)

The vast majority of the police force won't have access to lethal weapons, as they won't have a high enough clearance card to access the armoury. Some police will, but as soon as it's seen they've accessed the armoury and withdrawn stuff for no reason (and then possibly gone on to kill people) they'd be removed/arrested/shot. The general protocol is those with high enough clearance will open the armoury in the event lethal weapons are needed, such as a station compromise or a citizen has a lethal weapon themselves.

As well, to join the police force you have to roleplay your character as morally correct, aka not suddenly joining and shooting at people and helping gangs. But yeah, there's some leeway in terms of mild corruption, such as being bribed not to arrest someone for carrying a low-classed substance.

18. Teddi

Just to extend on what Kaiden is talking about. If you're taken into custody you cannot delete your character. Even if you escape you cannot delete that character until you've somehow manage to get the sentence removed or you're released early.

19. Kaiden

I wrote that here! but ty for clarifying.