Dark Souls (Prepare to Die)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Kaiden, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Just out of interest, who here's played/playing Dark Souls at this point? I installed and started it on recommendation, knowing full well it'd be extremely difficult - but pretty much stopped playing after ghosts kept coming through the floor and 2 shotting me - may have taken the wrong approach playing a caster.

But yeah - for any that don't know it; it's not a particularly new game, but pretty renown for being very difficult at times (Prepare to Die Edition). Can find it pretty cheap on steam during sales, but yeah, thought I'd check if there was anyone playing it currently and general reception for it.

Generic trailer for anyone after it;

Teddi likes this.
  2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I've been tempted to buy it, but apparently it's played best with a controller? Not sure how I feel about that for a hack n slash game.

3. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Yeah I picked up a copy on amazon for like 7 dollars. Same edition. I got past the first boss and then stopped because the pc controls were atrocious and so I went and ordered a wired 360 controller and it came a few days ago so I'll probably get back into it. It's pretty cool. I chose a knight because I figured being tanky wouldn't hurt and I heard mage classes were for "experienced players" and since I never played demon souls I am what one would refer to as a "pleb"

4. Kaiden

Controller is mandatory. As a PC gamer I'm used to console ports to PC, but this is literally "Here's a PC game, good luck using a keyboard, but we won't tell you any controls/how to use it" - Even the pop-ups say "Press A (Xbox) to open door" etc. Deff a console game at heart.

As someone who never really plays consoles though I found it pretty intuitive playing the PC version with an Xbox controller - picked it up quick enough.

But yeah, mean to the game back up at some point. Got sort of tired of the ghost part though, which is pretty early on - my general tactic relies on avoidance/dodging as I have basically no +armour, and that's hard when they can float through/hit you through walls/floors. But oh well, worth another try I guess!

5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

That game is known for being incredibly hard though, to the point where it drives people insane

6. Kaiden

I don't mind difficult games - I like challenging games, there's a reason you'll probably see my name if you have me on your friendslist whenever you play the last level of Absolution (that took a while to get that score) - But there's a line between difficult and just annoying. I like difficult, that implies as I improve I'll be able to overcome it. Annoying is just annoying to play, and haven't quite worked out which Dark Souls is yet <:

7. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

I'm so bad at it.

8. Xandrah2

Xandrah2 Fear me puny humans!

The problem is likely that you're going the wrong way, and trying to do something you shouldn't be doing.

9. Kaiden

Not sure, done the first bell, now going to the bottom to the ghosts and all that. No real time to play it atm though :<

10. Xandrah2

Xandrah2 Fear me puny humans!

Yeah, don't do that area with the ghosts, that's much later in the game. You need to find the second bell, which is in the swamp, if you started with the skeleton key, it's really easy to get to, otherwise you have to take the long/hard way there.

Kaiden likes this.