A small roundup as of far.

Discussion in 'Blog Posts' started by Teddi, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

2. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace New Member

I'm curious how the raw materials are going to go through what I assume, through the hands of the corporations and their factories. If I recall correctly, one of the buildings in the map tour was visiting a factory and loading dock, so there's probably going to be activity of taking the raw materials to and fro, possibly some corporate alliances that require one another's products to create a more polished consumer product. My question is how the raw materials are to be obtained? Feel free to destroy me verbally for my ignorance if this has been discussed previously, as checking the site isn't a habit as much as it used to be in 07-08. (Love those days, miss 'em. My hype equating to an actual game, this is something i'm actually really looking forward to. /end pube-fluffing.) I know there are several roles a player can mold their character to be, is a farmer/logger/miner really going to be a big asset to the overall world economy? It seems like players would all want to go for the spiffy jobs that give them any sort of authority; not a low-life (Unless benefits are included as these workers would be under a corporation) worker who would likely be getting limited content and word in the scope of the player created atlas and society.

3. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Not a lot of new info, but some interesting stuff to recap! And yeah I think it's important to clarify it's not RP09/08 with additional features, it's definitely something massively more - although I dunno anyone who was drawing the conclusion it would be myself!

4. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Damn it Kaiden, stop stealing the words right out of my mouth.

For your original question about how raw materials are obtained, you should read this and this. But yes, your assumption about raw materials being obtained through the work of laborers is correct.

About your concerns, I actually posed the exact same problem a while back, here's a few choice quotes from the thread in which we discussed that issue:

I still slightly have that concern, but I think that BlackDog's comment about companies stepping in to fill shortages to make a quick buck seems logical, even in the case that we start running low on new players.

5. Teddi

It'll be within every players interest to secure some sort of supply for themselves.
    A corporation may very well want to have their own supply as in the long run it could probably work out cheaper for them instead of having to purchase items from freelancers.

6. Joey Skylynx

Joey Skylynx Minister of Propaganda

Player-Economies are a very, very scary subject. When I think about player runned economies[with no static pricing] I remember the almost PBE from Fearless called the Fish Market:
    I could go into great detail regarding the fish market[I was the leader of the KTG], but the best explanation is that corporations and guilds were constantly trying to control the fish market by buying out freelancers(Ma N' Pas) and monopolizing the market during their reign of the server. If two groups were contending each other it falled down to who RP'ed better, who had more allies, and who knew how to start proxy wars.
    In short... I'm scared, but enlightened by the fact that BBRP will be almost entirely playerbased regarding economics. As I've already told Teddi/Blackdog that we'll end up with a massive migration of players from other gamemodes which will try to bring their gamemodes culture with them.
    I see Dark RP'ers either being businessmen, tribals, or hobos.
    I see Tacoscript players becoming police-like or businessmen.
    I see PERP players acting as drugdealers.
    More importantly... I see a massive influx of players which will attempt to start street gangs/thugs. You can divide those into three groups...
    - Street Gangs
    - Mafia Families
    - Resource Island Tribals

1 person likes this.
  7. Kaiden

If TnB generics join the community expecting to join the police they'll have another thing coming - because above all else I base accepting people into the police on previous time in BB (aka what I know of them) and their attitude, of which TnB generics often wouldn't fit either.

At any rate, under the Sale of Goods Act the police may step in in the event monopolies are being detrimental to the economy.

Street gangs/thug organizations are fine, as-long as they stay out the way of the police, because we'll happily eradicate them through means. The island is a democracy but the police still has lee-way, we'll respect the rights of honest citizens but criminals, hm.

8. Joey Skylynx

By the way Kaiden... I never got to ask you this, but how do you plan on dealing with roadside robbers, raiders, and tribal groups in the Resource Islands?

9. Kaiden

Depends what you mean by the resource islands, you mean the other servers? If so no idea tbh, I'm not a massive fan of cross-server roleplay, but we'll come to that when it gets to it.

But if you mean otherwise, then much like real life the public will be playing a crucial role in reporting crimes and alerting the police. If we take i.e. someone's being robbed in a street IRL, the police are informed by someone witnessing the crime - they can't be everywhere afterall. It's important it's intuitive, simple and rewarding to contact the police with such matters, which it will be.

But at the same time, the police will be maintaining a constant presence throughout the city and especially at busier times I wouldn't imagine there'll be an officer too far away from a reported crime, in car or otherwise.

Tribal groups hah, we'll see again. This is based in a 21st century city, I guess some people might find time for tribal groups - again it's going to be a learning curve for a lot of us, but in terms of on paper we're prepared to deal with situations as best we can until we actually experience them on the server (plz RP server).

But yeah, depends if you're talking about the less urban servers (of which I know little myself), could be interesting to see how the law is enforced there.

10. Teddi

I've not 100% gone through it with Kaiden yet but for the benefit of it I'll explain most of it here.

As Kaiden already stated the Police's main objective is to protect the city. That is their one and only duty that they ever need to actually enforce (in a variety of ways).
    Obviously the Police (should it grow large enough) may attempt to patrol certain areas, and there'll be a minor outpost on each server for the police to hold down should they be required to, however unless the threat of people in the resource islands becomes too large, their presence should never be required there albeit there may be small scouting parties / groups that go out there occasionally to check on the situation.

We'll have to see how it plays out in the long run.

11. Joey Skylynx

I made this...
    But my dad needed something so yeah....
    The muffin lord will be the only one guiding those officers in the small outpost.

12. Kaiden

That's pretty much it, they won't be heavily equipped, at least with weaponry that requires attention. Perhaps if it gets to that stage then yeah the police'll take a more direct approach to them. But yeah can't really give a more exciting answer than "we'll see".

13. Joey Skylynx

Well if you need any help with making a guide for dealing with Insurgency let me know.

14. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

BB, We Know RP