Inter-hanging RAM

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by King Cole, Oct 28, 2009.

1. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

EDIT: Title was supposed to be "Inter-Changing RAM"

Ok, I've been searching Google for the past 3-4 hours now, and I can't find any help what-so-ever.

What I want to know is: how would I go about taking the RAM from my shitty Alienware M15X that broke, and put it in an old 2001 Dell Dimension 3000. Reason being: I cannot play any GMod, CSS, HL2, or anything because this desktop has something like 512 MB of RAM but the Alienware laptop has 3 GB.

Also, is it possible to add that 512 MB to the 3 GB? I know it won't make much of a difference, but every bit helps.

ALSO, is it possible to swap video cards too? Not sure if the desktop can handle any Steam games or not, when I get home (typing this on my iPhone) I'll check what the video card is.

2. Zeke

Zeke [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Terrible question. First off I doubt that the alienware ram would be even compatible with your Dell and second laptops use notebook RAM and desktops use desktop RAM. Video cards maybe never tried.

3. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Eh, its worth a shot. I was going to try a cluster, but obviously I can't because the computer won't start.

Also, just to prove you wrong: Dell owns Alienware.

4. TopgunZX

TopgunZX iYo vivo en el Internet!

Actaully, back in 2001, Alienware was not owned by Dell yet (I think).
    And interchqging parts between those 2 computer wont work. The parts on the dell are just to old, everything is Legacy on it. Also one is a laptop the other is a desktop, so that definatly wont work. And your dell PC probably has a PCI slot, not a PCI 16x so you cant change the videocards out either.

5. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

Actually I took the Dell apart earlier today and the RAM is Infineon. Also, I don't even think Alienware existed in 01

6. TopgunZX

7. King Cole

King Cole Active Member

^ Thats Wikipedia...

8. [BB]Bob

[BB]Bob Active Member

Uhm I know that putting a dell part in a normal built pc will result in either frying it or it won't boot up.

Now since alienware wasnt owned by dell at the time i dont think it will work since the parts are properitery.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Oh and you also can't put new parts in a dell or alienware.

I tried two years ago putting a new PSU in my dell and it fried my mobo.

9. TopgunZX

lol, probably because you put in a wrong kind of PSU, maybe the one you put in was ATX, and a lot of PC companies don't use ATX for their PSU's