Sync?

Discussion in 'Surf' started by x9nine, Jul 8, 2017.

?

Would you like to be able to see your sync

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x9nine

x9nine New Member

Howdy, I'm a relatively new surfer, only been surfing for less than a month, and was wondering if would be possible to display your sync percentage somewhere on the hud. I find that being able to see just how well (or not well in my case) I'm syncing my A and D presses with my mouse movements would be beneficial in helping me and many other new surfers get better at surf.

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

When you say display %, do you mean your progression on the map by say, a line and a pointer?

3. MidnaGigglz

MidnaGigglz New Member MVP

No Teddi, he means sync percentage. As in how accurate you are being at pressing A and moving your mouse to the left, and the same for D. If you were at 100% sync you would be gaining as much speed as you can while surfing. SurfKultur is a good example as they have sync % in their HUD.

x9nine likes this.
  4. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Perhaps an example of a server already providing this in a video can be provided? More detailed stats for surfers is never a bad thing, but it needs to be clear what is being asked for. From reading Midna's explanation it sounds an odd thing to add to a server with primarily tier 1-2 maps, and more for the hard server, but am interested to see an example of it.

NeverReady likes this.
  5. Daddy

Daddy [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Hello, I'm attaching a video that gives an example of how sync works. [See bottom right-hand corner]

Basically, it calculates an accuracy percentage of strafes. A strafe being synchronization between pressing either A or D while dragging the mouse in the correct direction. Let's say you perform 3 strafes in the air. The first strafe is your start so usually it's at 100%, but when you go to strafe again you start pressing the opposite key just barely before dragging your mouse with it; those two strafes together would bring your strafe accuracy percent down to high 90's or so. Having access to this information can inform the player how well they are synchronizing their strafes and can give them a better idea of the progress their making. In addition when a run is complete the overall sync percent for the run could be displayed beside the rest of the usual information.

Teddi, Kaiden and x9nine like this.
  6. Teddi

So if I understand this correctly, it essentially has you match up pressing A / D depending on your mouse movements while in the air?

7. Daddy

To clarify a tad more, if you see in the video under the sync % it's labeled four inputs. Mouse Left with A above it and Mouse Right with D above that. If D is lit while Mouse Left is also lit then this lowers your % since strafing against your key stroke causes you to lose speed. You can see this at 00:06 in the video where he's holding A but already moving his mouse right and his % drops. Essentially what you said is correct, but I wanted to further clarify to make sure we were on the same page.

8. Teddi

I figured as much. My only query is; wouldn't this potentially be slightly arbitrary as if you wiggle you mouse left / right fairly constantly, it's going to reduce the % if you're not pressing the right buttons correct?

9. Daddy

The only time a player should be "wiggling their mouse left / right" is if they're air strafing, which would not bring down the percent necessarily if they're syncing their keys correctly. The whole point of knowing your sync percent is to help get an idea of how good you're matching up your key presses; I can get a fairly high sync of 90-100 on runs whereas beginning surfers should be aiming to get above a 50% of their strafes sync'd properly. The more you sync the better you're doing which would mean having access to the information of how well you sync'd on a run would not be arbitrary at all.

10. Teddi

Whilst it's not technically this feature added, it is now possible to view what keys you're pressing in game via F1 > Enabling streamer keyboard.

Again, I acknowledge it's not the actual sync system - but if people want a clear on-screen way to see what's being registered, this will do so.

NeverReady likes this.
  11. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Having a look at other servers Sync seems fairly common (that alongside bots), would be good to get it added.

x9nine likes this.
  12. Teddi

This feature is now available.

x9nine and Lightning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.