surf_fruits strawberry walls

Discussion in 'Surf' started by GhostTitanium, Jul 19, 2017.

1. GhostTitanium

GhostTitanium New Member

I stand before you today to request that the spinning walls in the strawberry stage of surf_fruits be removed! There is no guaranteed way to pass through the walls without getting lucky. The only purpose of the walls is to ruin runs solely through RNG. Removing the walls would make the map much more fair and much less frustrating to run without having your time ruined every run by an unavoidable obstacle. pls fix.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Kaiden, NeverReady and Jr6150 like this.
  2. Squeaks

Squeaks Member

Sorry but, that's probably not going to happen, the walls are just RNG *shrugs. Its not too difficult to avoid them anyways, just keep strafing side to side and you're done. I pass it nearly every single time that way.

3. Solitairen

Solitairen New Member MVP

I don't agree that should happen my dude, they are there with the map creators intention of creating a challenge. As for the part of it being rng its not really rng if you match your acceleration and turning according to the spinning walls. It is more then possible to pass that section every time no matter the walls positions.

4. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Unfortunately this isn't the only RNG section we have and although it may appear purely random if you are good enough you can adjust your speed/height to compensate for the position of the spinners, also it really would only matter if you are going for all-time records which I don't believe is the case. I am able to do strawberry very consistently and luckily it is also early on in the run so if you care about times it's not the worst, having RNG at the very end of a run/map would be grounds for consideration. We have the same situation on surf_ny_platinum where on stage 3 there are the two walls that spawn on a fixed timer that move along the ramp that you need to dodge, same deal, just air strafe around them and hope you don't get a new pair that pops up at the edge of the ramp (although if you know they are on a fixed timer you would know that another one would be appearing soon based on where the last one was) Sometimes there is just rng involved with surf, sometimes bhops suck for no reason, sometimes you get pebbles, etc.

5. bigdogmat

bigdogmat New Member

It isn't quite the same situation. On surf_ny_platinum the walls are always coming and you'll always have to go past at least 2 of them, possibly more. They also don't affect the outcome of a run that much in terms of time. On surf_fruits if you don't time it exactly right, you'll spend upwards of 2-3 seconds stalling, alongside that you're wasting more time because of the speed loss. If you do time it exactly right you just go straight past it without any trouble.

Servers like KSF fixed this by moving the walls and making them static, so it'd still be a "challenge" to do, just without the rng. Considering this is meant to be sort of an easy server, I don't think it'd be much of a problem to remove them, likewise removing them wouldn't change times.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    SaintsRogue and Jr6150 like this.
  6. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Yeah not opposed to having them still there but frozen at some angel, I hear a lot of complaints about their RNG.

Jr6150 and NeverReady like this.
  7. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Simpsons also had that kind of timer RNG that we didn't touch on stage 5 albeit removed

I don't really think it's necessary to be honest, lets be honest here this is about the times not the difficulty, if we go down this rabbit hole I feel we are soon talking about removing every bit of pre-map optimization such as many doors that can be held open to improve times just by having another player stand at the entrance, I get the competitive aspect of that style of thinking but I don't think that should be very high on the priority list as of now. I also disagree that removing them wouldn't change times I think that would definitely provide a speed increase to the route so we would have to take that into consideration as well. I like that the spinning gives an extra layer of difficulty to the stage, and if it was intended to be that way in a casual run then I don't see why we should remove it, however a consideration to remove it is that it's a tad laggy, not exactly perfect in the hitboxes, so it's not necessarily performing as intended.

8. bigdogmat

bigdogmat New Member

Simpsons s5 is a different considering you can go right over the platforms.

I am talking about times when talking about this, creator of this thread may not be but I still agree with the points given. I'd say it's more frustrating for someone speed running considering they're probably 30 seconds into the map and have to reset because they weren't lined up correctly. And I see what you mean by comparing doors to this, and I agree, they should be removed. Though, I'd say there's a bit of a difference between the two, e.g. one not wasting as much time and not happening as often.

As for the times difference in this case, if you time the stage correctly you'll go right past them as they're parallel and it'll be as if they weren't there. You may be able to direct it a bit more, however at most I'd see 0.2 off by doing that.

SaintsRogue likes this.
  9. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

I'm not against it I see what you are saying it's just that I'm not sure how hard it is to fix and if that should take priority over other things, it's a pretty minuscule problem in the grand scheme of things

NeverReady likes this.
  10. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

The walls could be removed or frozen in position. the trickiest part would be agreeing angles that everyone is okay with if froze in position

11. Squeaks

Squeaks Member

If you were to freeze them I think it would be best to keep them straight parallel to each other, straight facing the ramps to the platform you need to step on to open the door. Since you need to go to the right when the walls are moving in the first place I don't think it would make a dramatic difference if you kept them straight like that (That is just my opinion)

12. Squeaks

Squeaks Member

Example of what I am saying: http://i.imgur.com/HdnIc05.jpg
    I wasn't able to freeze it with the physgun so I held it in place and timed the screenshot.

13. RaZoRaK

RaZoRaK Active Member

I can pretty much get past the spinning section by going higher up. I don't think it's necessary at all to completely remove them. You can get through easy if you know how to.

14. SaintsRogue

SaintsRogue New Member

It's not just about how easy it is to get through when you are actually going for a time its an RNG stage.

NeverReady and x9nine like this.