[SUGGESTION] Surf rewards

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by LtHunter240, Oct 21, 2020.

?

Who should be rewarded?

1. Top 3?

2. Top 10?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LtHunter240

LtHunter240 New Member

I have come here to bring you an idea suggested by grabbitz who unfortunately didn't know how to make a forums post. The suggestion is that there be a reward system in place for weekly positions weather that be top 3 or top 10. This also goes for monthly rewards top 3 or top 10. Reward would be cubes for those that place in the positions. Let me know what you think about the idea! Thank you friends and all!

Lisa and Grabbitz like this.
  2. Grabbitz

Grabbitz New Member

i 100% support this idea and it will encourage people to get better times and compete.

LtHunter240 likes this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa [BB] Admin Admin

I personally like this idea, I'm not sure how it would work if at all, but I like the idea of people who might not be able to place on seasonal leaderboards to be able to still try hard to maybe get a reward that is within their skills. even if its only like 1k to first place for example, I feel this would still help people strive to get better for the chance at a reward, I understand that is what seasonal is good for as well, but lets be real, the best players on the servers are kind of in a league of their own. I personally support this idea if its possible.

edit: or maybe just an idea but maybe make the reward the same no matter where you place helping make it easier to distribute the cubes, for example 250 cubes for placing on an weekly board, but say you placed on 4 you will get 1k cubes, but maybe max it out after 5 or 10 leaderboards to prevent cube farming. just an idea :)

LtHunter240 and Grabbitz like this.
  4. Ricardo Obando Jr

Ricardo Obando Jr New Member

I like this idea, it'll give me some encouragement to improve my Pb

5. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

How dare people not know how to use a forum in 2020! :)

It's been raised quite a lot - the best of the server get rewarded pretty well if they win a season/2nd/3rd, and then everyone else just gets what's offered as standard (crate drops etc). There's no real middle ground except to "get better" and be at the top.

I think it's too simplistic to implement "top 3 of each map each week gets a reward" - there's too many variables unmeasured, such as difficulty of the map, played amount, completed amount, if abusable, reward amounts, diminishing returns etc. I think there's definitely potential there but it'd be more of a developed, balanced system than just a quick patch, which I appreciate is a timesink that'd fall to Teddi.

I'm all for more rewards between seasons. An idea for this is an expansive Ranking system that goes beyond the top 10, which would give an incentive to keep getting better on a "global" level - perhaps there could be additional cubes, unique items, titles or crates related to these rankings too. It's something that's being looked at behind the scenes to understand the best approach. Any form of ranking system would need substance like most of our features, not just [1284/5000] by your name for the sake of it.

Demo and Lisa like this.
  6. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I understand the sentiment, but I feel generally this is the wrong way to approach this.

For a bit of context, the original system was actually weekly / monthly / 6 months (there was no all-time, no seasonal) and the original proposal was to reward people at the top of each. We realised quickly that there were flaws with this plan (players want to have a permanent fixture of times, E.g. "WRs" and so on) so we redeveloped the system to be weekly / monthly / all-time with seasons coming along later and becoming quarterly instead of 6 months, issuing rewards. Originally we only rewarded the top 3 of seasonal and have since expanded that to top 10.

We've realised over time that players enjoy rewards and some form of recognition and much of that has been implemented in the form of achievements which primarily is for recognition purposes, but does tickle the reward aspect as well. If players are feeling they want to be better rewarded (which is something we need to be better at in terms of the mid-level) then we need to look at this more in depth, but flat out giving rewards for weekly / monthly isn't something that can happen, @Kaiden summing it up well -

Some maps are very unpopular which means that players could (and likely would) inadvertently end up being rewarded for something that in reality took little effort on their behalf due to lack of popularity. Furthering that it also actually works against players who play infrequently - Seasonal has the advantage of being that it's likely across the three-month period you're able to partake and set a solid time, weekly is too short a period and it's likely a player would miss out (plus population change throughout the year would affect this). Another issue that this particular way of rewarding people is - what about those that don't want to run timetrials and beat PBs? Not everyone Surfs to race each other / themselves and it further leaves those out in the cold. I'd also raise the issue that if you're only trying to get a time to get rewarded, as opposed to a sense of your own achievement then that's not behaviour we really want to encourage either. Rewards should be meaningful and not just tossed out as a dopamine hit.

In short: Could we do better in terms of rewarding players (especially once they hit the mid / intermediary stages)? Absolutely. Is pegging it to timetrials the best way to do this? Probably not.

Demo, Chaco #11, Lisa and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.