Surf Difficulties, Let's Fix This.

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Newbrict, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Newbrict

Newbrict New Member

Surf Difficulties are done wrong (In my opinion of course)
    Many maps are, absolutely impossible with certain difficulties (On insane: Ny_Platinum, Ny_advanced, Fruits are all impossible ) i have been able to beat all those on Master however.

The difficulties should not be increased gravity, it should be TIMED. Say insane would be the bare minimum amount of time to beat a map, and your level would get progressively decreased, so everyone starts out with insane and then goes down

or just write the code to give you cubes according to how long it took you to beat the map, this would be PERFECT for surf.

Please give me your opinion.

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It's not just increased gravity that affects the insane difficulty. In fact the whole point of insane is that it's unbeatable due to the sheer amount of cubes you get from it (10x extra cubes). The halfway point alone gives you an assload of cubes if you manage to do it. However the timed suggestion is not a bad idea and I may if I get a moment look into doing something like that.

3. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I agree that it should be time based, I don't know what Teddi was thinking with altering gravity like that. Though Easy would probably have a minimum cube amount with a bonus if you do it in a certain time.

4. Teddi

I don't mind swapping insane to have a timer, but easy should be just that - easy. There's no need to put pressure on newer players to try and get a reward that they probably wont make when they first learn to play it.

5. Whitefang

Whitefang ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hence the minimum cube amount.

6. Newbrict

Newbrict New Member

You could make it so you have a set amount of cubes you could win per map, say the map gives 5,000 cubes:
    you could make it so you would win (5,000 - seconds*2) taken to beat the map. So in a 25 minute period, you would loose 3,000 cubes. you could also make a minimum cube reward, like 1,000 cubes, so even if you're a newbie you win at least something.

Thoughts?

7. Teddi

It still feels rather eh to get it. Another problem with timers is that some people (eg Bundt) can get to the end in no time. Once you understand the mechanics of surf it really is that easy and it becomes split seconds in difference of speed. It's something which I've put in Speed-Surf (Which is gauged on how fast you can complete the map rather than different variables). Once I've released that it may be more preferable for people to play that instead. I may turn Insane into Extreme + timer regarding how much you get, but until there I don't want to touch surf in the sense of what it is, because it still gets occasional players which enjoy the time-free boundaries.

8. Newbrict

Newbrict New Member

Sometimes you get almost halfway though a map in insane, then you realize it's impossible to beat the rest of the map. It's pretty annoying when that happens, at least keep it in mind.

9. Teddi

No I understand that it is frustrating, but I made Insane in mind (and I've said this a few times in the past) that I made it with the fact it can't ever be completed in mind. It can on a very select few map, and if you do, you get a shitload of cubes thrown at you. Literally enough to swim in. But what I'll do is (when I get around to it) is reduce the gravity / increase airaccell a little (So it's around the same as extreme), but add a timer with a bonus of cubes that can be earned (which as it ticks down, the bonus is reduced)

Also if you want any maps added, suggest them now. Currently looking at surf_waterworks.

10. Newbrict

Newbrict New Member

Surf_quantum, super awesome map.

11. Teddi

The problem with surf_quantum is it's considered a surf-race / surf-speed map, not surf-skill. Surf-skill is what is being used at the moment. When surf-speed is relesaed I'll probably end up using this map.

12. Newbrict

Newbrict New Member

Why can't you just use it as skill surf D:

13. Teddi

Because it's one long map. For it to quality as a surf-skill it has to have stages.

14. Ashman

Ashman Member

surf_core
    surf_delusion
    surf_amateur
    surf_portal - because its portal and you gotta have portal
    surf_trinity
    surf_razer
    surf_imagine
    and surf_olympics back

theres some suggestions, probably too many, tried to keep them semi easy, with a few stages

15. Teddi

surf_olympics was buggy in the fact that the ramps weren't smooth and would suddenly just kill your speed.

And for an example of what one is (and what i'm adding ) -

[youtubehd]EEK6DNSy-hQ[/youtubehd]

16. Ashman

Ashman Member

quite a few maps randomly just stop you halfway down a ramp, its not really that noticeable

also
    surf_legendary
    surf_velocity
    surf_redemption
    surf_liberation
    surf_ultimate
    im just posting lists of maps that look nice, i'll stop now

17. Teddi

Apart from the fact no one really ever gets that problem. On olympics it was so damn clear it was part luck if you managed to get past the top half.

18. flash31939

flash31939 Nightmare Sub Admin

surf_heaven looks promising it is skill surf (levels). Just look it up on youtube. (css surf_heaven) in youtube search (without () ).