Rust

Discussion in 'Gaming and Tech' started by Kaiden, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

What are peoples thoughts on Rust? Gone from £20 to £15 pretty quick, and it looks interesting from the videos, anyone got it/heard anything decent?

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Fairly subjective viewpoint here as I was in the alpha for Rust (and hence have a free copy). Rust has pretty much gone through some huge development changes, originally it was based on the whole zombie apocalypse and was actually fairly entertaining, especially with the crafting system. Problem I have with rust now is the island has become a 16x16km map where you spawn randomly in it (or in "towns of shacks") with no real indication of where to go, what to do or anything. Hell, Garry is considering removing the zombies and adding a lua api (the latter is something he said he wouldn't do originally because it was "his vision"). Gaining resources takes stupidly long and if you're lucky you'll get an airdrop nearby with all the good loots instantly giving you pretty much lord status over the island.

Oh and the community looks like this.

Is the game bad as such? It depends what you're after really. If you're after a basic survival game with flopping dongs in the wind and crafting, Rust is probably actually pretty ideal. However if you want hardcore zombie survival (well, as hardcore as it gets) then the likes of DayZ is probably far better

In fact, if you want another viewpoint, Yahtzee has a fairly decent review of it as - well http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...Survival-Special-Rust-Starbound-7-Days-to-Die

3. Joey Skylynx

Joey Skylynx Minister of Propaganda

The just removed the zombies in replacement for placeholder animals.
    Apparently the main plan is to change them out for eventually "fluffy chickens" and "sexually moaning deer"

4. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

That's still stupid though, it's become a very plain survival game. I mean it's great that yay pvp and all but ultimately you have a 16km^2 island that at the moment barely holds 32 players. There have been servers that can potentially hold 256 players however they tend to crash and tbh aren't really options at this time.

So basically, it's a case of be forever alone on the island, or stay near the main spawns and just shoot everything

5. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

Yeah i found this game originally interesting but it seems like it's trying to do too much.
    I feel it's kind of a jack of all trades master of none situation.

Teddi likes this.