Request to Remove RTV Timer from the Hard Server

Discussion in 'Surf' started by a big Wookie, Oct 28, 2016.

1. a big Wookie

a big Wookie New Member

Hello,

I have come to request the removal of the rock the vote timer on the hard server, it is incredibly useless since almost nobody plays frequently except a handful of decent surfers. Having to wait an hour in between map changes is a pain and it would be nice if you could play any map you want at any time. I realized that it would affect map cool downs, I feel those could also be removed or shortened.

Thanks

2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Main thing that comes to mind is cube farm - beat map, rtv, beat map, rtv. Would get 100s of thousands of cubes an hour.

eth9n likes this.
  3. CrystalCastles

CrystalCastles Active Member

I've thought about this before but I thought it should be reduced to thirty minutes rather than being a full hour. It's just too long to have to wait whether you can or can't beat the map your on. And in my case, I can only beat a stage or two on most hard server maps so being forced to practice a map for an hour really sucks, especially when I join in AFTER an rtv. Which happens quite often sadly and typically the people who rtv'd the map are already gone by the time I join. So yeah, I think removing it altogether could definitely be abused but please consider reducing it so good people can get in more time on the hard server and so us worse surfers can get in more practice without being forced to practice one map for an hour when someone has rocked the vote.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    a big Wookie likes this.
  4. Junior

Junior Active Member Admin

5. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

The problem is there's no easy way to balance this out no matter how you look at it. If the RTV CD was set to 30 minutes there'd be nothing stopping those who could complete the maps from RTVing and having an obscenely high farm rate of cubes. The rates are higher on the hard server than what they ever were on the easier server - and one person was able to successfully farm 1 billion cubes on the easier server within a year.

Edit: The only fair workaround for the hard server would be to either offer no - or reduced cubes (say 65% reduction) if the cooldown was to be removed.

6. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

It really depends what people are RTV'ing for; cubes or a challenge. I like to think players joining the hard server are going there for the tier 3-6 maps, so having a clause where RTV'ing (without a cooldown) nullifies the cube reward for the next selected map would probably resolve the issue.

Players could either play on the map and try to beat it for the reward, or RTV and move onto the next one for the challenge/seasonal time, but not the cubes, as many times as they wanted in theory.

7. a big Wookie

a big Wookie New Member

Yeah I see your point, however, honestly most people that play on the hard server could care less about cubes, I can go with Teddi's negotiation of a cube reduction. If people did want to cube farm, it would have to be lower experience players that probably wouldn't be able to complete any map besides space-jam.

8. cyka blyat

cyka blyat New Member

I was literally about to make a thread about this. Its not about cube farming to me, its just I love to practice the harder maps. Well now that I see the issues with this, is there any way I can surf on single player? I just slide off the ramps and have no idea what to do. lol

9. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

If you want to emulate the hard server ( or near as ) in SP, you can set the following convars:
    sv_airaccelerate 150
    sv_gravity 800
    sv_sticktoground 0

10. cyka blyat

cyka blyat New Member

Thanks so much!

11. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

We're currently investigating alternates to the current RTV system for the hard server. We'll probably reduce it to ~7 minute protection with a 90% cube reduction across the board. (Which will be more like 3.5 minutes if you're a solo player).