climb server tlc

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by tuna sub backwards, Jan 25, 2022.

1. tuna sub backwards

tuna sub backwards [BB] Admin Admin

Recently we have seen a small influx of players on the Climb server! I love seeing people on Climb and I really wanted to know how we could potentially advocate for more incentive to climb. I realize other game modes on [BB] have had little to no traffic so the question may stand "Why should we give a hoot about Climb?" Well I think Climb as a game mode was sort of dead on arrival and I chatted with regulars who have wished the same success for Climb.

My questions are as follows...as always, my apologies if they're idiotic.

Can we incorporate climb server map achievements?:

I figure this would not change much, but I do know people would feel more of a reward when completing a map on climb, to see in chat they've received their map achievement. I know little people who really try hard for their achievements, and know more who don't even care for achievements altogether, so I understand how this may not have a huge impact on gaining traffic on the server. Still, I think it's worth a shot (depending on how much work load it would be for the gain.)

Can we review the cube payout amount?:

I think based on some of the maps length and difficulty, we could evaluate a higher cube payout as some maps may be fairly difficult/lengthy. I think raising the cube payout in general would give people and even higher incentive to climb. This may be a stupid suggestion so for that, i apologize LOL.

Also, are there any more Climb maps we can roll out in the future?

I spoke with some surfers and Elysian had a cool idea too. Mentioning more unique Climb server achievements, that could even earn the player cosmetic items that can only be earned from the Climb server!

To close, making Climb more popular has been a passion of mine and I just wanted to see if this could be on the list of spring cleaning. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Soders likes this.
  2. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

While I'm no climb expert and know little about the gamemode, here's my take either way;
    • Achievements similar to Surf in terms of map completions, number of maps, laps etc I'm sure are possible. Some could even award items unique to Climb (like Hard awards some). Think Teddi would have to weigh in on how much time it'd take to add, but there's not many maps is my understanding so potentially not much.
    • Cube increases I'm fine with, just need to ensure all the maps are bullet proof and there's no ham way to easily farm the cubes, which I'm not sure is guaranteed at present but is better than before the recent time trials work.
    • Maps apparently there's not loads, and like other gametypes there are plenty of bad maps (to the point the majority may even be bad or bad fits). More maps on there would be great but definitely needs to be the right ones.
    • I think everyone will agree climb could benefit from more features, I think it'd be interesting to see it developed further.

Soders and Miravyre like this.
  3. Miravyre

Miravyre [BB] Admin Admin

It would be great to see item awards as that alone could be enough to perhaps get people curious and explore climb more.

sry for deleted post :x

Soders likes this.
  4. tuna sub backwards

I also wouldn't mind taking some work load off and presenting a list of map completion achievement names for each Climb map currently on the server list, maybe just a list of ideas to choose loosely from. Let me know, I have no problem doing that or helping with any processes within my ability.

Soders and Kaiden like this.
  5. Elysian

Elysian Member MVP

My suggestions after playing for a while on the climb server:
    - Showing the timers on Tab instead of the KD, as it is useless.
    - As some people on the server suggested, long jump maps.
    - A Climb crate that you keep getting after some map completions, and it could give something related to the maps, like the minecraft pickaxe because of the minecraft map or a mushroom hat because of the shroomcave.
    - A ranking without decay.

And last thing, the top 1 and 2 all time on kz_minecraft2_fix are probably not legit. The top 1 has ~8 seconds less than the youtube wr even without being exceptionally good at any other maps, and the top 2 has 2 seconds less than the wr but is a player that had a 1 second wr on another map by abusing of a exploit.

Soders and tuna sub backwards like this.
  6. jTyler

jTyler New Member

I've got a couple suggestions for the climb server
    1. Long Jump maps, or at least an area in maps that allow you to practice your LJ's
    2. Going with the LJ's, an announcement in the chat that shows if someone hits a LJ 260+ for example "jTyler has done a 264 Long Jump!"
    3. Get rid of KD like Elysian said, and replace em with Timers
    4. MODES! Please add modes, not only does it let people be more creative with runs, but it can increase the replayability of maps (since the timer is an hour). And if modes are added, have separate leaderboards, so people don't get confused with normal runs and other mode runs
    5. Get rid of the flashlight and replace it with Fulbright, as some maps are dark, and even the flashlight doesn't really help
    For maps, I honestly don't know what kind of maps you guys would add. For more traditional bhop stages, though, I really recommend "arcane" and "muchfast". I think having at least 3-4 regular bhop maps would be a nice variety in the server. For climb maps i have none in mind as I only have KZ'ed on CSGO and I don't know if the maps are on gmod.

Soders and tuna sub backwards like this.
  7. tuna sub backwards

LOVE the fullbright idea, i think long jump practice is on one map. I really love the LJ announcement idea too!! Thank you all SO much for posting here as your suggestions are invaluable

Soders likes this.
  8. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

For those uninitiated with climb - what other modes are you referring to? E.g. different gravity modes?

9. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

10. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Small update for Climb:

• Added Achievements for completing a map
    • Added Achievements for perfect runs on maps. (As in, start a map and don't use a save position)
    • Added Perfect run indicator to hud
    • Scoreboard now shows current time and if it's a perfect run instead of K/D.

Elysian, Soders, Miravyre and 2 others like this.
  11. Kaiden

Amazing!

12. jTyler

jTyler New Member

yea, low grav, speed, etc.

13. Elysian

Elysian Member MVP

The exploit still works santamon
    https://imgur.com/0HuX7rI as you can see i have 17 seconds and im standing in front of the map end. It happens when you use "kill" on console while you spectate someone, it was fixed a few weeks ago on surf server but still works here. Also the timer doesnt stop when you spectate (like on the surf server), so you can start timer > spectate > kill > save position at the end > unspectate > load position.

Soders likes this.
  14. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Thanks - I'm pretty sure it's fixed, as well as any possible permutations, but give it a try. Reset times....again!

Soders and Kaiden like this.
  15. Soders

Soders Member MVP

Achievement items for climb is a good idea but please choose cosmetics that appear on platinum player models. Too many surf achievement items don't show up on platinum models. Also a way to track how many climb laps I have similar to my surf laps would be nice. And it would be cool in the time trials to include a symbol or put PR next to the times that were completed on perfect runs.

16. Kaiden

Not sure how you mean by don't show up, generally every item should appear, but they're modelled for HL2 player models. When we add custom models they don't follow the HL2 bones, so head/spine bones can be in completely different places, which is why quite often you see items floating or inside a model (which could be what you're seeing in terms of disappearing). It can't really be helped sadly without adding multiple of the same item with different positions and scales (which we've done a couple of times for i.e. vest items but want to avoid filling crates/store with duplicates).

We often use "eyes" for hats/face and "spine" for back items. Every HL2 model has these, but custom models may not so it's where we can see things go wrong.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  17. tuna sub backwards

just wondering if there is a way we can include a tab in menu to list and archive climb map times?

Soders likes this.