Title Card Suggestion Incoming!

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by tuna sub backwards, Sep 8, 2021.

1. tuna sub backwards

tuna sub backwards [BB] Admin Admin

I'm thinking of ways to revive the title card sales.
    I hear a few complaints of "Why does my personalized title get removed once I swap to a system title? Why are those permanent and my personalized titles aren't?"

See that is an interesting question. I propose the idea of creating a permanent title option or even a reusable title option that archives the donors' titles and allows them so many uses until it decays. I think this would show that we value the players that want to express themselves, as well as potentially boost dollar amount per sale.

We have title card bundles for the 4/3.50 and 8/6 which I personally take advantage of but not sure if many others do so just thinking of options to freshen up that donation page. Cheers

Natanskybudder8, Lisa and Miravyre like this.
  2. tuna sub backwards

** when I refer to system titles, I mean to say the 'predefined titles'**

Lisa and Miravyre like this.
  3. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

I don't dislike the idea but it might need fleshing out a bit more - one of the reasons title cards are priced as low as they are is to effectively incentivise people being able to change them easily and use them on each other. I haven't seen queries or anything raised by players when they change their titles, it seems to generally be accepted that once used (or changed) the title goes poof.

How do we define uses and decays? Each time it's set in the menu? Is it right that a title should randomly decay after x number of uses?

As for perm titles I'm not against the idea: is there people that want this?

(tldr, I want more feedback and info from people around this)

4. Miravyre

Miravyre [BB] Admin Admin

I did talk to pluto about this a bit in a call, but something i kinda thought about was adding a new tab into the /title menu where you could potentially have all of your title card titles saved there (not forever of course) so that should you switch your title to say the "elder" tag you can come back into this new tab and find your title card title still there! The only catch would be if you were to want your title back you'd potentially have to get a new title card to activate your title once more. I imagine it's not the most effective way of going through this kind of idea but with title cards being priced the way they are it could certain encourage people to get more of them.

5. Natanskybudder8

Natanskybudder8 New Member

I would definitely like an option for permanent titles, seeing as I'm now an elder member I no longer have my old title and I miss it a little bit. Being able to swap between the 2 without having to pay for more every time would be very beneficial to me.

6. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Titles at $1 have always intended to be a bit of a throwaway thing, I don't think it's realistic to have a $1 title be able to stick around in the list. Can look at a new offering on the donation page that could fit in with having a permanent title.

Miravyre likes this.
  7. Teddi

So we've had bit of an internal discussion on permanent titles this morning and how we can make this work both with the current system, but also without making it overly complex (e.g. introducing some sort of new title card). I'm going to put down some context before moving in to it just so we're on the same page.

Title cards are currently base-priced $1 per card, or you can get a stack of four for $3.50 (0.875 p/c) or eight for $6.00 (0.75 p/c). The fundamentals behind them are that they're meant to be a fun little system in which players can tag each other at minimal or give themselves a title. Alongside this, when a title card is used a title cannot be modified or cleared without a title card for 10 days after which a title can be cleared, or a player can change to another title that they may have for free. There are exceptions to this generally that an admin can override in terms of locking, clearing or modifying a title at their discretion (which is typically to counter abuse / bullying).

What I'm going to throw out there is the following:
    - We offer a pack of title cards where it's $15 for 20 cards (0.75 p/c)
    - Players have the option of swapping 20 title cards for a permanent title. More on this in a bit
    - Players however must agree that they're happy with their title before making it permanent because unlike current titles, admins won't have the ability to easily modify titles as they do now and have them save.

The idea behind a permanent title is like this: similar to how the service titles (Elder / Ancient / Eternal), Verified girl etc when you flag a title as "permanent" it enters that list for you to be used. In the event that you change your title (or it's changed by another title card) this title will remain in your list and you'll be able to go back to it free of charge once the current title card expires or you can use a title card to clear the lock and then go back to it keeping it in-line with current title card rules.

This means you can freely swap between titles you want and there's no long-term risk of loss. It also allows the current system to function as intended.

What I haven't concluded or decided upon yet is whether or not players can set permanent titles for other players. This isn't particularly difficult but it opens up avenues of potential abuse that I'm not really sure I want myself or admins to have to try and deal with.

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

I think it's a solution that works and gives the option to those that might be interested in exploring a permanent title that they can select from the list, which incorporates nicely into the current system with admittedly low effort in development.

On permanent title use I'd argue you should only be able to apply a permanent title to yourself, the concept of applying something offensive to another, that the player always has to see in their /title list forever will just generate more work for Teddi purging them at database level. If you want to give someone a permanent title you can purchase the 20 title card offering and gift it to the player via the redeemable code, then they can apply the titles themselves.

Miravyre likes this.
  9. tuna sub backwards

First --
    Thanks to the friends who came and supported this thread! I love the proposed idea Ted and Kaid.
    The plan for it was to boost the dollar amount and the bundle for permanent access seems really dope i have such high hopes for it.
    A list of past custom titles button is totally a must too on the view titles menu!
    May not be top of the list to freshen up, but happy to have a discussion on it nonetheless. Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

10. Teddi

Miravyre likes this.
  11. Teddi

Permanent titles are now live across all servers however they may require a changelevel for the changes to take effect.

Message from Discord so the information is all synchronised:

Miravyre likes this.