BBROLEPLAY

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sasafrasquatch7, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Sasafrasquatch7

Sasafrasquatch7 Member

BRING IT BACK, I HAVENT PLAYED IT IN 9 YEARS

2. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

We've rehosted it a few times over the last few years; but primarily people only play it for the nostalgia factor and then drop it.

3. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

4. Sasafrasquatch7

Sasafrasquatch7 Member

Dude there is a total lack of solid casual Rp servers, we need to bring back the old map, before it went serious Rp under DarkRP. Enforce STrict NLR, strict against RDM, and no stupid kids running around being faggots, like i wanna play rp servers but i can't because it's full of obnoxious children. Fuckin minecraft kids man

5. Sasafrasquatch7

Sasafrasquatch7 Member

and none of that stupid 70+ jobs shit, we just need like 20 jobs max, hitman, hobo, mayor, cops, mob boss and mobsters, gun dealer, black market trader. Just the good ones, and money printers 2 max. None of that stupid cook crystal meth shit.

6. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

There lies the problem with roleplay in general, and why a lot of people you know from the #olddays don't play much anymore. Garry's Mod just doesn't appeal much to the older crowd anymore.

7. Teddi

The problem is though; you're adding things that never existed in the original RP08 in that would change the scope of the game. The extra stuff you've added also makes it impossible to moderate or make it effective in any shape, way or form.

Realistically you want something that can allow for an even playing-field and nullify the concepts of NLR / RDM and the like - but as has proven this grows in scope and becomes a huge task.

These were a couple of features I added a short while ago to RP08, but never fleshed it out further -

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Yeah I never went on another RP server after BB's died, I knew there wasn't another server like it. Part of it was development of other gamemodes, adding cars/various drugs etc, people got bored of the simple version we offered, and needed the game to provide the RP content for them, while BB players created it.

There were enough kids on our server (I mean we were all 12-17 really), but we had a mature Admin team which mitigated a lot of issues, that and you couldn't buy power. I do miss our RP server for sure, but it won't back I doubt. Thinking 10 years have passed, back then you could get away with our simple (ish) gamemode. These days players require cars, 50 job roles, fires, etc. It's a shame but meh.

9. Sasafrasquatch7

Sasafrasquatch7 Member

I see what your saying but all the bbroleplay i remember was about was selling drugs, getting guns, and rebelling against the man and other organisations

10. Teddi

A few years ago we put it back as bit of an elaborate april fools (even re-developed some features and whatsnot) but aside from some initial nostalgia; it really didn't take off. It would need to be on one of the current maps like evocity for it to get any sort of attention.

11. Sasafrasquatch7

Sasafrasquatch7 Member

Yea i hate all the current maps except danktown

12. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Entirely true, but this was built around player interaction; building a rapport with the local dealers or mob, etc. It was simplistic in terms of you were either the Cops, Mob, or inbetween (varying from gun dealers supplying to either, or civs trying to get by). It worked on the premise that players got involved and adopted their role. Some of my best experiences were raiding apartments that had been established as drug dens over several days, but took that long to justify a warrant.

The reason RP08 worked was it didn't define what you had to do. I distinctly remember joining in 07 and being enthralled by the possibilities. The mayor process alone I got voted for a number of times, and dictating how the entire server is ran until you're slain is still a fascinating concept to me. If you could enrol strong security and approach mayorship without vilifying any major groups you'd survive a while. But to sum it up, some of my best memories of gaming are from RP08, and I haven't topped them since. Talking to Teddi earlier, we achieved an exceptional gamemode, that I'm proud players 9 years later make forum posts about. It only tells me that we made a gamemode that players still think about years later, and while it can't be recreated in the modern age, at the time it achieved a status that still impresses me to this day.

Teddi likes this.