Proposed Map Changes for Surf

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Teddi, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Every so often we review the maps and the situation for our servers so we can give what we think is best for the players; and at the moment we're in the process of reviewing maps, difficulties and so on. There's a number of changes coming to how votemap works and so on in the very near future which will change how map availability works; but furthering that we're also looking to possibly swap maps around.

Easy Server
    We're currently looking to remove Healthy from the roster of maps and instead move this map to the hard server. Back when various Surf refinements were made we didn't have the best or large amount of Surf maps we have today and so Healthy seemed to fit what we were after at the time. It's currently proposed that Mesa Mines would replace Healthy as the hard-server requirement for now. The achievement for the map would become Legacy and any seasonal points would no longer count towards it.

Hard Server
    As of the current moment internally we're not too happy with the hard server. We're not sure if it's a case of the requirements being too high to get in, the rewards not good enough or simply the server isn't as fun. For this we're looking for suggestions; and in the upcoming week or so the text based chat between the two servers will become linked. If you have any suggestions on any changes to the Hard server in any degree, we'd like to hear them.

So overall that's the surface of how we're looking to change things up slightly. If you have any further changes you'd like to suggest, go ahead anyways! We're fairly open minded about this stuff and some of it although we may have in the works already, I'd rather confirm that as opposed to leaving people guessing what's coming.

Kaiden likes this.
  2. Rhythums

Rhythums [BB] Admin Admin

I know it isn't the way that you want to do it but I think that removing the white list from the hard server is the only way that is will become more populated, because a lot of the people who play on the easy server struggle with getting on to the hard server and while making the required maps more lenient could possibly be a solution i feel like people will continue to play on the easy server over the hard server because a lot of regulars still wont be able to make it to the hard server.

3. Chase

Chase [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

Add T2 linear and T3 staged maps and that should bring some more people to it. The fact is that most of the people cant even beat half the maps. I can only beat a little over half the maps and im just decent. Most of the people that goto the hard server are mains for bb so they all are use to the gravity being lower. Now im not just saying add easy maps to the hard server but...

4. RaZoRaK

RaZoRaK Active Member

I'm a little sad about Healthy being moved over to the Hard Server, but I can definitely understand why you feel you need to do it. In regards to the Hard Server's population, I feel like opening it up to everyone would be the only way to really get people in there.

Rhythums likes this.
  5. Chase

How would that get people in there? I guess taking it off would maybe get people in there but when they are in they won't be able to do the maps or anything.

6. Teddi

My concern with just opening up the hard server is that a) it removes a goal to aim for and b) many new players impression of Surf could be something that is somewhat difficult so I'm not really wanting to do it; although we could do a few trial weeks to see how it goes. Adding T2 / T3 maps to the hard server isn't really ideal. There's a few maps on there (spacejam) designed to ease you in, but otherwise you'd end up with similar maps with just different difficulties.

7. Chase

Space jam is so easy tho. Feels like it should be on the easy server some what. Also like ive brought up before the server only switches between three maps. With it being like that someone has to get on and rtv to spacejam thats if someone else hasnt already rtv to there yet. So besides the maps on there now do you only want T4 and up maps on the hard server? I just feel like thats the only thing holding back with many people playing on it, are the maps.

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

If it's a case of lacking maps for the hard server I strongly encourage anyone to go through this archive, the most comprehensive I've found, and advise any solid maps that'd be a good fit for either server;

http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-53442.html

We can get suggested ones over to the map committee.

9. Chase

- Surf_b_r_o_x_x_x T3 - Staged
    - Surf_Ember T3 - Staged
    I had those on my list for the hard server and seen them on there.

Kaiden likes this.
  10. Teddi

At the moment the current changes are also being proposed -

• All maps would be on a baseline cooldown of 2-3 hours (number undecided) - this is to allow players to experience a greater rotation of maps.
    • A weighting system would be added so certain maps could have enforced a longer cooldown.
      • For example if we assume a 2 hour base cooldown and gave Healthy a 3x multiplier, Healthy would then be subject to a 6 hour cooldown.
    • Random map time will be enabled at the same time where sometimes the system just decides to pick a map; regardless of it's status.
    The idea is to try and allow players to enjoy maps they want to play more often and to have a greater selection as opposed to the increasingly limited pick players have with the increase cooldown. This may backfire on us with the same set of maps played over and over (aka Kitsune hell) but I feel for many players; it may work out more positively.

I'm also going to look into implementing a feedback system so you can tell us what maps you like playing, and which maps you don't like playing. This won't be an option that appears every time - or every map; but it's something we feel is required to help us improve the overall experience.