[SUGGESTION] Autohop Zones

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Cloud, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Hello, BB community. As this is the surf section, a few of you may know of the KSF community. If you have played on their server, then you know they have no autohop normally. This is great and it's one thing I enjoy about BB. The only issue is that, on KSF at least, there are things called autohop zones, whereas on BB, there is not.
    I think that there should be certain spots on certain maps that allow for autobhop, if they require or imply a jump is necessary. For example, surf_advanced has a stage where you have to hop off the starting platform, hit a bhop, and use the speed to catch ramps and flick. Currently, it's much more difficult than need be, requiring me to scroll anytime it's needed.
    That's fine to have fun with, but not fun for times and runs.

Anyway, just a recommendation. Thanks guys.

2. Bundt

Bundt DJ Pauly D MVP

Hi Cloud, so I am aware of the recent popularity of auto-bhop features that other servers such as KSF have put in place. At the moment we don't have plans to implement this type of system as it really is not a necessity to surf. Many skill-surf maps do require you to bunny-hop, and I am more than aware of the weirdness to just scroll as you are landing on the platform instead of it just doing it for you. I believe bunny-hopping is a skill that is required to be able to skill-surf, and while it may be difficult to execute while also trying to keep a good speed and momentum, I do not believe it is necessary as we would have to go into every map and manually add the autobhop zone. Most of the maps on our server currently were made before auto-bhopping was even a thing, and I do not think a leaderboard record is legitimate if you don't actually have to bunnyhop the specifically made bunnyhop sections of the map.

I am also aware of the lack of information on bunnyhopping that we have available and will get working on writing a guide for that as well as updating my surf guide.

3. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

It's bit of an interesting problem really. I can understand why people want an auto-hop feature; but at the same time I feel it kind of detracts from what Surf (skill) is all about. Maybe that's because I'm more of a purist or a masochist but that's by the by. That said I'm currently contemplating adding such a feature to to Surf (at least, the current 'easy' server) but honestly I'm not entirely sure. I'll try to explain (generally) as to why this is in a long-term way.

For a while Surf has been transitioning in the way it plays and handles. Some of this is to do with the experience for (you) the player and other changes have been backend related, or improving your experience indirectly. Not only that but with a recent influx of players discovering surf (or at least, the Skill aspect), I'm actually in the process of splitting Surf into two servers (potentially 3, not entirely sure yet).

The current server in it's state is to be the 'easy' server where we have maps ranging from tiers 1-3 (maybe at an absolute push). The idea is that players have a generally stable area where they can learn the idea behind surf and ramps and the like. Eventually (if they want a further challenge) they'd move onto the harder server ,where the tier would be more from 3/4-6. What I want is for those who really master the gamemode of Surf to master every aspect - be it from bhopping the occasional area to surfing and controlling your airtime precisely and for that, this harder server would have no auto bhop.

What this means is that a player that transitions from the easier server to the harder server would have to then learn, from scratch how to bhop without assistance which doesn't really seem right in itself. I could just prevent the ability to rank with auto-bhop enabled but it also feels like that would alienate part of the server population.

I can understand why KSF have bhop-only areas, but that doesn't really fix the problem as more restricts you from just using it willingly. I'm open to ideas and thoughts but implementing auto-bhop is really not something I want to do unless there's solid reasons as to why.

Killermon likes this.