[NOT A BUG] Door Pushback

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Bugs' started by Sleepydragn1, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleepydragn1

Sleepydragn1 Serious Business Since 08

Currently doors will not open outwards if someone stands in front of them. Obviously, this is pretty abusable, and you can easily trap someone inside of a room or use it to keep people out of certain areas.

If some sort of player pushback was applied to opening doors (or if opening doors could open even when players were standing in front of them), that would fix the issue.

2. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

I can make the doors force, but I won't. The reason being is that if the doors force open / close, then it can push players into geometry. I found that the result of this was players getting stuck fairly often because a player would open (Or close) a door another player was standing by.

I'll continue to watch how this goes, but I'm not sure there is a lot that can be done about it - it really is the lesser of two evils.

3. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Obstruction is against the law, they should contact the police if someone is physically blocking an area, much like you would IRL (or you'd just punch them and stuff).

4. Sleepydragn1

Well, if they're on the other side of the door, they're kind of hard to punch. :<

But yeah, while certainly police could resolve issues like that if they're on the outside of the door, I imagine that if they're blocking the inside of the door, battering rams might not even work in opening them (since I'm assuming that battering rams will just force open locked doors, and use the same technical system as actually opening the door), creating an easy way to keep the police out of certain buildings/rooms in assaults.

5. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Battering rams will work. When a player opens a door it sends a 'Use' output to the door - this means source does a check to ensure there's nothing blocking the door before performing the action. The 'battering Ram' (Which won't be a battering ram) will fire an 'Open' output which bypasses this check and opens the door regardless.

6. Sleepydragn1

Alright, glad to hear it.

Although, I still stick by my point. While it may not be the highest priority right now, if possible I'd love to see some sort of knockback script implemented that knocks players back from a door while it's opening, while also taking geometry into account.

I just figure it's a pretty easy way to troll in a non-RP fashion, and also a fairly petty crime for the police to have to handle.

7. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

It's not going to be possible simple because we can't touch the base source ents. To do this, we would have create our own ent which just wouldn't be worth it.

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

/shrug, we fine them for doing it. If they carry on we arrest, they'll soon stop, or be out of character slots. It might happen for a little while till people learn they won't get away with it, I'm not worried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.