Jack's TTT Trial Admin Application

Discussion in 'Denied' started by candle jack, Jan 27, 2013.

1. candle jack

candle jack New Member

Game Name: Candle Jack

About Myself: I'm a 26-year-old gamer with a lot of time on my hands. I've spent over 500 hours on the server and mumble since I started playing with you all around September of last year. I've made a lot of friends and a few really good ones here and I absolutely love being involved in this community. After a few months I started recording damage logs and have been trying to do all I can with what I've got. I live in America and I'm usually on afternoons and night to early morning. I really want to help the server as best as I can and I feel that I would make a very fair and effective admin.

Past Experience: All of the experience I have on Gmod is what I've learned while playing with admins. I play often with them so I've picked up quite a bit.

References: Elk!

Able to spend at least 7 hours a week? I usually spend a little less than that daily.

Able to spend time on Mumble? If I'm on the server I'm in Mumble! I spend tons of time on it.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Elk likes this.
  2. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

I don't know if it's been three or four weeks, so I don't know how much merit this will have, but I do indeed give a reference. c:
    Candle is a great guy, and he's helped me out a lot since I was a sub-admin, getting logs and taking down names when I wasn't around. He really tries to help people learn how to play, and is generally nice to everyone (well, aside from RDMers :9). He knows the rules well, and since he's played with me and some of the other admins since he got here, already knows the proper actions to take against troublemakers. He's online at funky hours, so he could certainly help keep the server alive at night. I do really think he'd be a great addition; at least let him try it out, I'm positive he'd make a good sub-admin.

Might I add plenty of people stick around because he plays. He's fun! :B

3. I know my say doesnt carry very much influence as some random player, but I really want to vouch for Jack.
    He is really well-spoken; he could talk miles around me and still look very intelligent.
    On top of that he is VERY level-headed; even when people start instigating he stays calm and collect.
    He's very polite too; always speaks kindly to all and adheres to server guidelines.
    Lastly, he is very active in community.

As a side-note, he is such a sweetheart, knows how to work the ladies with conversation and is overwhelmingly attractive.
    He's extremely affectionate and cute as a button.
    He also knows how to wear those hotpants ;)

4. Elk

Elk ecology enthusiast

Oh my many gods.

5. Pot Ducky

Pot Ducky Hurf Durf,

It's a no from me, although you seem pretty level headed and could be a reasonable admin you:

1) Aren't active enough within the community other than the small group that's on mumble. Post on the forums more often. (I know there's not a lot going on, but maybe people should start up interesting threads!)

2) I personally don't feel you make the effort to speak/play with people other than your small group. Speak to some new people and play some different games with them. Joining in other games being played as a community is a great way to meet some of the people which don't join mumble all the time.

There's another reason but it's pointless and will just stir stuff up. If admins or you want to know what it is, feel free to pm me or speak to me on steam/mumble

1 person likes this.
  6. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

I'm inclined to agree with Pot on his two points; you don't really get involved too much with people outside of your small group. Your post count is a little evident of this in that you only have 12; I know the forum isn't too active, but 12 posts in 4 - 5 months is a little bit low considering that the forum is a very important branch of the BB Community.

A low forum post count also makes it hard for people to judge you (Such as admins giving reference) if they don't see you online due to time zones; for all they know, you could just be some new player applying for admin after joining the server for 1 hour (Which does happen quite frequently).

Anyhow, that's my 2 cent's.

7. Tmadhacker

Tmadhacker New Member

As an Active BB player, I hope candle is considered for Trial.

I'm new to the community, but candle has been kind and modest person. He's a rising star in the community and it would be a shame for people to ignore his talent. He doesn't bother people unless they want to interact with him, while staying friendly even in times of frustration. Any problems that happen on TTT or other games he is quick to react or let us know about them as players and as someone who carries himself with authority.

In reply to Ducky's response, As someone who also doesn't use the forums much, I would say the inactivity on the forums in general is a bigger issue and posting on it is a separate issue at hand. (but that conversation isn't meant for here)

The "small group" comment(s) is understated and an inaccuracy. If the numbers on steam is accurate number (203 as of Jan'13) of people on BB, and on average, we have 20 people go through mumble a day, then we have at least 10% of players potentially interacting with candle. That's a significant percentage of BB on mumble, it shouldn't be seen as "not active."
    When you consider the number of Active players into account, the number skyrockets to 50%, Minimum. Next, I'd argue that he plays with the community at large, he plays Castle Crashers, DOTA and on the recent MC server with several BB players I don't interact with regularly. There's also several internet games i can't think of the names off the top of my head. I haven't played them with him personally, but i hear him, and the players talk about it on mumble.

Now, my arguments are very mumble-centric, I can't disagree, but with the only other presented idea of communicating with BB players is the forum, options seem limited. the forums are, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to snail mail, and in the age of communication, mumble is just a much better go-to place for when you want to know what's going on RIGHT NOW, and that matters in a community of under 500. I'm not saying set up a twitter, but mumble has the speed and efficiency the forums lack.

To rebut Santamon's comment, as I've thought and mentioned about forum inactivity above, the if the forum is such an important part on the community, why is it not be used more often? There are sections that are empty and untouched for almost a year. That doesn't show me the forum is alive and kicking, but that's my perception of the situation on BB communication, make your own opinions on this. I'd love to discuss this on another channel where its more appropriate.

BB is a growing community, let this be a way it can do so, he's able, ready and willing to go the distance. he's a Regular and is liked by the active community. the TTT server can use his expertise of being on at hours others aren't.

In summary, he gets my vote.

8. 7rozen_7ear_

7rozen_7ear_ New Member

This is the moment I've been waiting for. Candle, way to go!

You may or may not know, but this moment is quite enjoyable to me. Why? Candlejack has posted his application. Candle Jack! But, who is he?

Candle is very friendly, very calm and smart* American chap, who clearly has a lot of IRL social and life experiences. He always thinks through actions, always remains polite and likes a funny joke here and there. It would be a mild understatement to say that he's more than capable for the job of sub-admin (regular admin even). He's got all the qualities that one ought to have. He's always active on Mumble whilst playing (and by doing so interacting with other people) and to be honest, the majority of regulars on this server talk together on Mumble anyway. (I've only been one month and a half month or so in this community, so I could be wrong on that.) What the social part's concerned, there's nothing to mark. He does a great job at being a known person in this community, he knows how to deal with people and actually has been a great help for Elk and other admins as well as play well due to him keeping logs. I'm not aware of too many players (including myself) doing that in such an active fashion.

Candle is one of these friendly characters that let others stick to this place. He's got the glue, which I'm glad of as it made me stick around.

Although I know my voice doesn't weigh , I wanted to add as much weight to Candle's application. I don't want this to be blown in the wind, out of our grasp (for technically only one month). Also, I've been looking forward to this moment for quite some time. Everytime I asked him if he had posted his admin app, he humbly declined because he found that he wasn't playing for long enough. As I've said before, Candle is an honest player and a capable one. If you won't accept him today, trust me, you'll see later on why you should promote him. He's got all it takes; don't waste anymore time. Candle is the way to go. +1 for Candlejack, otherwise I'm going to hit the road (Ray Charles pun intended)...

*The fact that he's smart is supported on the fact that he "lives" in Tartarus. Most of you probably don't know, but this is the part in the Ancient Roman after-life where you get tortured for ever after having messed with the gods. This assumption is in my opinion accurate, as I've got a lot of experience with more intelligent people in our society (IQ 130+).

9. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Allowing community feedback as it appears to vary

10. Was it originally not allowed?
    ....oops o-o

11. Ashman

Ashman Member

while you are a good player with a level head, and in my experience would generally make a good sub-admin the low post count and general inactivity in the community other than mumble and ttt makes me say no at the moment, as has been pointed out

12. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Typically we prefer for people to stay out of it unless the Admins can't seem to agree on referencing the person. But this time it's being allowed to slide by.

13. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

I've seen and talked to you very lightly in recent weeks/months, and you seem to be a very well rounded individual. It's simply a no for me now, only due to the fact that you are rather new to the community and I think it'd be a good idea for you to get to know everyone. I think I'd change my answer to a yes in the future if you remain active. Good luck!

14. Sneaks

Sneaks Member

Candle definitely has my vote on this one. I'm fairly new to the community and as such realize my word may no taccount for much. However, I owe it to Jack that I still play on this community. He, along with several others, had extremely good and intoxicating personalities. Candle also has a very fair and level-headedness of him that I've come to deeply appreciate. I would also like to point out that my primary playtime is 11 PM-5 AM. At this time, while we do have good admins on, I do believe more is in order. No other regular player at this time is more qualified for an admin position then candle jack,imo. The player base get very small very quickly when we have rdm'ers on because of the space available on other servers that legitimate players could easily transfer too. It really kills the server and takes alot of the fun out of the game. I feel as though Jack is the best person to keep the server in line at this time due to his ability to discern easliy between the good,bad, and ugly of ttt.

TL:DR= Candle mvp 2013

15. Tmadhacker

Tmadhacker New Member

(to Teddi) Noted. I would've expected the additional community information to call upon allows more rounded, informed opinions from the admins and people who have sway in the community. I'll be sure to post a secondary thread should the community want to discuss our opinions on the matter next time. :)

16. dudecall

dudecall Member

candle is a very friendly and helpful person. ive played countless hours with him on ttt and on mumble in general. i personally would like to see what candle could do for bb as a sub admin, as i see him as a productive member on bb. the low post count on these threads is indeed an issue. but i would like to rebuke this with, as he may not be posting all the time making random threads ( like i do) he is an active player in the game and helps moderate, which are key things to have and do to get anywhere. in the end yes he could have more posts(couldn't we all?) but he makes up by being a genuinely friendly and helpful person

17. Perry

Perry The best guy ever

After much thought I will give you my reference on the basis that the forums are always dead anyway, and we could use an another american admin. You will however have to work on being mumble a lot more, even if nobody is on it, when or if you receive admin. Trial admin is a trial after all, so you may do well or not and that will be the deciding factor.

18. everlot007

everlot007 New Member

nah he dont deserve it
    he too good a person to have it
    wont ban people for shit reasons
    yeah he dont deserve it