Want to help get extra surf maps added and! earn some cubes for it?

Discussion in 'Surf' started by Teddi, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Teddi

Teddi Well-Known Member Bear

Quite a few people have been asking for extra maps to be added and generally due to the fact I'm busy trying to get all the lovely new features in, I essentially end up having to schedule a night for me to flit through maps, process them and the process them.

I've long since had a tool which lets me set these maps up fairly quickly and I don't see why you lot can't have access to it either, so you can get it from here. Just dump that in your addons folder and in sandbox you'll have a new weapon called the "Surf Area Management" tool under the other category.

If you right click with the tool out, it'll bring up a plain box similar to -
    [​IMG]
    Just select what type of mode you need to use and it'll automatically fill out instructions telling you how to use it.

Once you're finished with the tool, save the file, upload it to here and I'll see if what you've done works and is correct.

Current reward per accepted map - 25,000 cubes.

Some Tips
    • Regarding placing and saving - I'd recommend as you learn to use the tool, each trigger you make you click the "save output to file" button and then "Clear all memory". This allows you step by step to build up the file.
    • If you don't clear the memory after saving, when you save again next time all the entries you had previously will be saved again, duplicating the areas. Don't worry if this happens (too badly). Just mention it and I can manually remove them if required.
    • Once you're more comfortable, as you progress per area you don't need to constantly "save and clear".
    New: Video on how to use the tool.

Find any bugs or have any feature requests? Post them below.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Killermon and Kaiden like this.
  2. eth9n

eth9n [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

So I downloaded the addon and put it in my addons folder, created a singleplayer sandbox game on the surf map I wanted to prepare, but the tool didn't show up. Is it possible that we need more than just the .gma or did I miss something?

3. Bunz

Bunz [BB] Sub Admin Sub Admin

[​IMG]
    No such weapon is put in there.

4. Teddi

Let me double check a few things, it might be the case the .gma doesn't work as it used to. I'm updating the thread with a legacy style version of the addon (which you can get here. That version should work. Alternatively if you have me added on Steam as a friend, you can subscribe to this addon - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151615239

5. Killermon

Killermon Hammer time!

Don't GMA's manually installed have to be activated from the Gmod Addons menu?

6. Teddi

That might be the case. I know it used to be automatic, but take a gander in there I guess.

7. Bunz

Here's a test run. -Hard server-

Attached Files:

8. Kaiden

Kaiden Administrator Community Manager

Not sure if worth uploading map too? Dunno if it's one Teddi has to hand!

9. Teddi

If it's on fpsb, that's fine.

10. Teddi

Firstly, that's a fantastic effort and I can see you've managed to get the gist of the tool which is awesome! My only concern is with the map itself. You mentioned it's meant to be like stage-linear (and where you've put the stage spawns is certainly sensible), however are you sure that's the case? I certainly don't mind accepting it in current form and uploading it - but I just want to make sure that it's not meant to be entirely linear for the benefit of yourself and everyone else :)

11. eth9n

Hopefully this works. (Hard Server)

Attached Files:

12. Bunz

The map is meant to have 3 stages, with the option of running it linear, from what I know about it. I've surfed the map on a few servers and that is how they've had them set up. If you hit the floor, it is already set to return you to those platforms (which I set as each stage's "spawn point"), so I can only assume that that is how the map creator meant for it to be. If you can upload it in it's current form and allow me to test it, I'll know for sure.

13. Bunz

As per my bias towards linear maps being more fun than staged maps, here are more linear maps and one staged map. All for the easy server.

Tier 1 Staged - Derpis

Tier 2 Linear - Inspire, Island, Wood.

I suggest moving spacejam from the hard server to the easy server, and replacing it with a map more fitting for the hard server.

Attached Files:

Kaiden likes this.
  14. Teddi

It could be I downloaded a different version of the map as all the teleports sent me back to the start. Could you toss me your copy of the map?

15. Teddi

That file is full of teleports, not actual stages. It could be converted (but bit of a pain). also is swagtoast even a CS:S related map? I can only find CS:GO downloads.

16. Teddi

surf_inspire I believe would be a bad fit for the easy server. It's dark, confusing and generally pretty eh. One thing I want to bring up though is the end teleport.
    [​IMG]
    The problem is that won't trigger for the player unless they physically stand on it. You want to think of the player running through a big box, like this -
    [​IMG]
    The bigger we can get - the better as it improved player detection for the most part.

Derpis I'd gladly accept, although you need to redo the checkpoints as you want to put them at the start of next stage where possible. There's a chance when there's another source trigger nearby that it'll trigger that instead (unless I remove it, but in these cases these are stage change teleports so yeah).

For surf_wood you need to make sure that the teleport is covering a decent chunk of that final platform. Currently players are able to surf into the teleport to take them to the next stage which didn't seem to be your intention.

I can't do surf_island yet because my net is shitting out :(

17. eth9n

Another attempt for a hard server map. (Note: I added a teleport box to send players back to spawn when they've completed the map.)

Attached Files:

18. John Brown

John Brown [BB] Resident Alcoholic Admin

Ah, Elysium is a sick map!

19. eth9n

Agreed, one of my all time favorite surf maps.

20. Teddi

Great attempt, but I think you mis-understood our chat last night. What you've ended up doing is setting the spawn position (ie where people should spawn) and the completion areas to be the same. So the moment a person lands at stage two, they've well, completed stage two (which then lets them TP to stage 3) and so on and so forth.

Stage 1 should have the spawn here
    [​IMG]
    and then the completion area should be where you've put #2's completion area (ie here)
    [​IMG]

This is my more fault for not mentioning it, but you don't need a teleport for the end, the gamemode will automatically take the player back to the start if they hit the last checkpoint :)